Netflix pulling the plug on ‘House of Cards’ following Kevin Spacey Allegations
LOS ANGELES, October 30, 2017 — After allegations of unwanted advances in 1986 by Kevin Spacey against at the time 14-year-old Anthony Rapp surfaced, Netflix announced they are pulling the plug on the hit Netflix show ‘House of Cards’ after the upcoming sixth season in 2018.
Netflix and Media Rights Capital, the studio behind the show, said in a statement Monday they were “deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.”
“Executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported,” the statement said. “As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Just a day after Rapp made public what happened during a party at Spacey’s New York apartment in the 1980s, Netflix made the official announcement. Company executives involved were planning on ending the series a while ago but cast members were only made aware of the decision today. Rapp says he came forward because of the multiple allegations against producer Harvey Weinstein.
Spacey issued a statement saying he “did not remember the encounter” and added he was horrified by what Rapp described. “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” Spacey said.
Spacey has been playing the critically praised role of President Francis Underwood in the Netflix series. Spacey’s role launched Netflix’s string of original programming explosion in 2013. Spacey was also an executive producer. Spacey earned five Emmy award nominations for his role in ‘House of Cards.’ Former ‘House of Cards’ creator Beau Willimon tweeted that Rapp’s story is deeply troubling.
The 13-episode Season 6 of House of Cards is expected to debut in mid-2018 on Netflix. A spin-off series is also in the works.