Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italian court

Italy’s highest court on Friday overturned the convictions of Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend in the murder of Knox’s British roommate. The Court of Cassation consisting of six judges announced the decision late Friday in Rome. Deliberations began at noon after Knox’s boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito lawyers made their closing arguments. She was prosecuted after the semi-naked body of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher, her throat slashed, was found in November 2007 in the apartment the two women shared. Raffaele Sollecito, Knox’s Italian boyfriend, was convicted as well. Prosecutors in the Italy town of Perugia said Knox ordered Sollecito and Rudy Guede to hold Kercher down as Amanda played with a knife before slashing Kercher’s throat.

The ruling, struck down last year’s guilty verdict by a Florence appeals court, brings the nearly decade case to a close. The judges ruled the evidence did not support a conviction and they declined to order another trial. Both suspects Knox and Sollecito served four years in the Italian prison system until a lower court overturned their convictions and released them in 2011. However, the Cassation Court reversed that decision in 2013 and sent the case to the lower Florence court. Knox refused to travel back to Italy and stayed in the United States for the length of this final trial. After hearing the announcement, she said she was relieved and grateful. 
Read more at Examiner.com

google+fbtwitterin

Have you checked out our book of the month?

q

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s